Senior Research Associate, ISP/Applied Sciences Laboratory
Scientific Interests and Work
Solution-based synthesis of inorganic nanostructures. Assembly of nanostructures driven by weak interactions. Design and fabrication of organic/inorganic nanocomposites.
Dr. Gunawidjaja’s interests include: solution-based synthesis of inorganic nanostructures, assembly of nanostructures driven by weak interactions, and design and fabrication of organic/inorganic nanocomposites.
As a graduate student, Dr. Gunawidjaja’s dissertation was centered around the assembly of nanostructure materials on a two-dimensional scheme by means of Langmuir-Blodgett (LB) and Layer-by-Layer (LbL) assembly techniques. He sought relationships between nanostructures geometry and surface chemistry with the formed morphologies, which led to the design of functional nanostructure materials with focus on tailored mechanical and optical properties.
Ph.D. (Materials Science & Engineering), 2009, Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, GA
B.S. (Composite Materials Engineering), 2003, Winona State University, Winona, MN
Honors and Recognition
- Certified Engineer in Training issued by The Minnesota Board of AELSLAGID, 2003
- Cross-cultural scholarship (1999-2003)
- Pi Mu Epsilon mathematical honor society, 2002
- Golden Key International honor society, 2001
- Alpha Lambda Delta honor society, 2000.
- R. Gunawidjaja, E. Kharlampieva, I. Choi, and V. V. Tsukruk, “Bimetallic Nanostructures as Active Raman Markers: Gold-Nanoparticle Assembly on 1D and 2D Silver Nanostructure Surfaces”, Small 2009, in press.
- R. Gunawidjaja, S. Peleshanko, H. Ko, V. V. Tsukruk, “Bimetallic nanocobs: decorating silver nanowires with gold nanoparticles”, Adv. Mater. 2008, 20, 1544.
- R. Gunawidjaja, C. Jiang, H. Ko, V. V. Tsukruk, “Free-standing 2D arrays of silver nanorods.” Advanced Materials 2006, 18, 2895.
- R. Gunawidjaja, C. Jiang, S. Peleshanko, M. Ornatska, S. Singamaneni, V. V. Tsukruk, “Flexible and robust 2D arrays of silver nanowires encapsulated within freestanding layer-by-layer films.” Adv. Func. Mater. 2006, 16, 2024.
- R. Gunawidjaja, S. Peleshanko, V. V. Tsukruk, “Functionalized (X-PEO)2-(PS-Y)2 Star Block Copolymers at the Interfaces: Role of Terminal Groups in Surface Behavior and Morphology”, Macromolecules 2005, 38, 8765.