Dynamic response of materials and structures (experimental characterization, modeling, and simulation), stress-induced phase transformation, shock dynamics, thermo-mechanics, electrodynamics.
Ph.D. (Engineering), 1983, Brown University, Providence, Rhode Island
Honors and Recognition
- Fellow, American Society of Mechanical Engineers (2008)
- Alexander, C. S., Ding, J. L., Asay, J. R., 2016, “Experimental characterization and constitutive modeling of the mechanical behavior of molybdenum under electromagnetically applied compression-shear ramp loading,” J. Appl. Phys., 119, 105901.
- Biswas, N., and Ding, J. L., 2015, “Numerical study of the deformation and fracture behavior of porous Ti6Al4V alloy under static and dynamic loading,” Int. J. Impact Eng., 82, 89-102.
- Brown, J. L., Alexander, C. S., Asay, J. R., Vogler, T. J., and Ding, J. L., 2013, “Extracting strength from high pressure ramp-release experiments,” J. Appl. Phys., 114, 223518.
- Biswas, N., Ding, J. L. Balla, V. K., Field, D. P., and Bandyopadhyay, A., 2012, “Deformation and fracture behavior of laser processed dense and porous Ti6Al4V alloy under static and dynamic loading,” Mater. Sci. Eng. A, 549, 213-221.
- Ding, J. L. and Asay, J. R., 2011, “Modeling of the dynamic inelasticity of tantalum single crystal under ramp wave loading,” J. Appl. Phys., 109, 083505.
- Asay, J. R., Vogler, T. J., Ao, T., and Ding, J. L., 2011, “Dynamic yielding of single crystal Ta at strain rates of ~5 x 105/s,” J. Appl. Phys., 109, 073507.
- Ding, J. L., Asay, J. R., and Ao, T., 2010, “Modeling of the anomalous elastic precursor behavior and dynamic inelasticity of tantalum under ramp wave loading to 17 GPa,” J. Appl. Phys., 107, 083508.
- Brown, M. A., Ding, J. L., and Robbins, J. R., 2007, “A numerical investigation of the effect of induced porosity on the electromechanical switching of ferroelectric ceramics,” Ferroelectric Letters, 34(1), 1-21.
- Ding, J. L. and Asay, J. R., 2007, “Material characterization with ramp wave experiments,” J. Appl. Phys., 101, 073517.
- Ding, J. L., 2006, “Thermal and mechanical analysis of material response to non-steady ramp and steady shock wave loading,” J. Mech. Phys. Solids, 54(2), 237-265.
- Dwivedi, S. K., Ding, J. L., and Gupta, Y. M., 2005, “Computational study of interface effect on impact load spreading in SiC multilayered targets,” Int. J. of Computational Methods., 2(3), 341-373.
- Robbins, J. R., Ding, J. L., and Gupta, Y. M., 2004, “Load spreading and penetration resistance of layered structures – A numerical study,” Int. J. of Impact Engineering, 30(6), 593-615.
- Gupta, Y. M. and Ding, J. L., 2002, “Impact load spreading in layered materials and structures: concept and quantitative measure,” Int. J. of Impact Engineering, 27(3), 277-291.
- Ding, J. L. and Hayes, D. B., 2000 “Phase transformation rate in shock-loaded KCl,” Shock Compression of Condensed Matter-1999, Furnish, M. D., Chhabildas, L. C., and Hixson, R. S. Ed., American Institute of Physics, 633-636.